Support and Frequently Asked Questions
Welcome to our Frequently Asked Questions page. Please browse through the topics to find what you are looking for. In the event that the FAQ does not address your questions, please contact us.
- Using the Directory
- Registering & Managing your Account
- Creating & Managing a Portfolio
- Adding & Editing a Company
The Clean Energy Project Builder directory allows you to search for companies, expand or narrow your results, learn more about the companies, and add the companies to your portfolio if you have one. You can choose to see the results in a basic list, small map, or large map view. Please consult the questions in this section to learn more. If you don't find what you're looking for, contact us.
Where does Clean Energy Project Builder get the names of companies listed in the directory?
The companies in the directory are not sourced from one particular location or another. The initial companies were ones that were known to the partners creating Clean Energy Project Builder, and now that the site is live, companies find us and add their company. Click here to add your company today!
It says "No criteria selected yet." Why don't I see any companies?
The directory always starts you out with a "blank" search. You can begin by clicking "SHOW ALL RESULTS" to see all of the companies in the directory, or make a search using one of the three options outlined in the next question, "How do i search for companies?"
How do I search for companies?
There are three basic ways you can search for companies. All of them are available in the blue search bar along the left side of the directory.
- Keyword Search: This allows you to search companies by their name and/or description. Choose if you want to search name, description, or both by clicking on the appropriate check boxes. You must select one of the two boxes; If you don't select name or description, it will return a search of all companies. When you have entered the text you want to search for, click Search.
- Geographic Search: This allows you to find companies in a particular radius around a location you provide. Type in the number of miles in the first box, and the location in the second. The search will work best if you provide: (1) just a zipcode; (2) a city, state and zipcode; (3) or a street address, city, and state. When you have entered the mile range and location, click Search.
- Company Categories: Each comapny in the directory has classified themselves in a number of ways. You can find companies using these categories by using the slide-out menus and clicking on particular categories. Higher-level categories will include all sub-categories. The categories you can search by include:
- Service Area
- Legal Structure
- Years in Business
- Number of Employees
- Project Years in Service
- Project Capacity
If at any time you return a search that says "No results were found for your search criteria" then please try again with a less specific search.
Can I add or remove criteria from my search?
Yes, you can do both. All of your current search criteria are always listed at the top of the directory in the light green box under "Showing". If you do a "Geographic search" this will always limit your results to that radius. When you select multiple criteria in the same category, they are combined with an OR (i.e. one service OR another service). When you select multiple criteria from different categories, they are combined with an AND (i.e. service AND number of employees)
- Add: If you would like to add criteria to your search, you can do so by selecting more categories from the "Find company by..." menu or by doing a "Geographic search". These criteria will then appear in the "Showing" area at the top of the directory.
- Remove: To remove search criteria, click on the blue "x" next to that criteria at the top of the directory results. This will automatically refresh your results.
- Example: You want to run a search that shows you all of the companies that provide engineering or operations and maintenance services, limited to 200 miles around Pipestone, MN, with more than 100 employees. You would do this by (in any order) searching for companies within "200" miles of "Pipestone, MN 56164", selecting "100+" from the "Number of employees" menu, then choosing both "Engineering" and "Operations & Maintenance" from the "Service" menu under "Find companies by...". In the "Showing" area at the top of the directory it now tells you that you are seeing: [Proximity: Within 200 miles of 56164] AND [Services: Operations & Maintenance OR Engineering] AND [Number of employees: 100-999999].
How do I find more information about a company?
There are two ways to get more information on a company. If you see a link on their search result box that says "More" you can click on that to expand the text and see more states in their service area or more services they provide. To see the company's full directory profile, click on the linked title of the company. Use the back button in your browser to return to your search results from the company profile page.
Can I sort the search results?
Yes. The default sorting of results is by "Company name, alphabetical". In most cases this will be your only option. However, when you do a geographic search, you have the option to sort the results from closest to farthest away. Do this by clicking "Geographic proximity" in the light green bar under "Sorted by" at the top of the directory. Also, when you search by services, you have the option to sort the results by "Service, alphabetical".
Can I change the view of my results from a plain list to a map?
There are three options for viewing your results: Text only, Small map, and Large map. The default view for directory search results is Text only. If you would like to see your results on a map, click on "Small map" or "Large map" in the blue box at the top-right corner of the search results. You can switch back and forth by clicking on these links at any time.
Can I change the number of results shown on a page?
Yes. You can show 10, 25 or 50 results at a time. The default is 25. You can change the number of results listed per page by clicking on the links at the very bottom of the search results. You can switch back and forth by clicking on these links at any time.
How do I add companies to my portfolio from the directory search results?
To add companies to a personal portfolio, you must first create an account, and then sign in. After you are signed in and run your search again, you will see yellow suitcase graphics that say "ADD" to the right of each search result. Click on that image to add a company to your portfolio. You can also click on this image to add a company when you are looking at their individual directory profile. To view and manage the companies in your portfolio, click on "My Portfolio" at the top of the page.
Creating an account with Clean Energy Project Builder will allow you as an individual to save companies that you want to follow up with into a portfolio that you can organize and save, and it will allow you as an employee of a company serving the wind industry to create a company profile so that you can be found by those who want to plan and implement projects. Please consult the questions in this section to learn more. If you don't find what you're looking for, contact us.
Is there a fee to create an account?
No. Clean Energy Project Builder is provided completely free of charge.
How do I create an account?
Click on Register in the top right, type in your desired username and active email address, and then click Create new account. The site will send you an email with your login information. Check your email and follow the one-time link to sign in and change your password.
I did not receive an email to confirm my account. What went wrong?
The most likely problem is that you mistyped your email address. Please attempt to register one more time, and carefully type your email address to ensure that it is delivered successfully. If this does not work, contact us.
Will I receive emails from this site, and will you share my email address with others?
How do I sign in?
Click on Sign in in the top right of any page.
Are my username and password case sensitive?
Your password is case sensitive. Your username is not.
I don't remember my password. How do I sign in?
I don't remember my username. How do I sign in?
How do I change the email address or password associated with my account?
Once you are signed in, click on My Account in the top right, and then the tab that says Edit. Make any changes and click Save when you are done.
How do I log out?
Click the Log Out button in the top right of any page.
How do I cancel my account?
Once you are signed in, click on My Account in the top right of the page, and then the tab that says Edit. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, and click the "Delete" button. Confirm that you would like to delete your account. Careful, this action cannot be undone!
Creating a portfolio will allow you to save companies that you want to learn more about or follow up with. Creating a list of suitable companies for your next request for proposals just got a little easier! You can organize companies using tags and download lists to take them with you and share with others. If you don't find what you're looking for, contact us.
How do I create a portfolio?
All you need to do to create your own portfolio of companies is click here to create an account, type in your desired username and active email address, and then click Create new account. The site will send you an email with your login information to the address you provided. Check your email and follow the one-time link to sign in and change your password. Now you are ready to start adding companies!
I created a portfolio but I can't find it; How do I get to it?
How do I add companies to my portfolio?
- Add from the Directory: After you are signed in click on the Directory and run a search of some sort. You will see yellow suitcase graphics that say "ADD" to the right of each search result (if you don't see the graphics, click one of the links on each result that says "Login or register to add this company to your portfolio" and sign in). Click on that image to add the company to your portfolio. You will know it's added when the image changes to a suitcase with a checkmark in it.
- Add from company profile pages: Maybe you'd like to learn more about a company before adding it to your portfolio; that's just fine! On any company profile page, once you are logged in you will see the same suitcase icon that says "ADD" at the top of the page. Click on that to add the company. You will know it's added when the image changes to a suitcase with a checkmark in it.
- Add & tag from company profile pages: This will help you save a little time if you want to add and organize companies in one step. On any company profile page, once you are logged in there will be a section in the main information window called "My tags:" where you can add as many tags as you like to that particular company. For a new tag, type it into the box and click "Add". As you begin typing, the site will automatically list tags you have already added to the portfolio so that you can apply an existing tag this way. If you add a tag to a company that is not already in your portfolio from their profile page, the company will be added to the portfolio and given the tag all at once.
Is there a limit to the number of companies I can add?
No; you can add all of the companies in the directory if you want!
How do I delete companies from my portfolio?
When you are on the Portfolio page, check the boxes in the top left corner of each company you want to delete, then click the "Delete from my portfolio" button at the top or bottom of the page. You can also click the "Check/Uncheck All" button if you want to delete all (or most) of the companies in your directory.
How do I see more info about companies in my portfolio?
From the Portfolio page, the best way to find more information about a particular company is to click the hyperlinked title of the company to visit their company profile page. If you just want to see more of a company's service area or services, you can click the (more) links on the company teasers when they are available.
Can I download my portfolio companies so that I can take them with me or share them with others?
Absolutely! You can export your entire portfolio list or all companies with a certain tag. When you are looking at the list that you want to export, simply click the "Export to PDF" link at the top of the page.
Can I organize the companies in my portfolio?
Yes. You organize companies in your portfolio using tags. When you add companies to your portfolio they are added without any tags. It is up to you to add tags and organize companies however it works best for you. Maybe you want to create specific categories for different projects you're working on; or perhaps you'd like to track which companies you sent different requests for proposals to. See the next question to learn about adding tags.
How do I add tags?
There are three ways to add tags to companies, two in the Portfolio and one on the individual company profile pages:
- Tagging one company: In the Portfolio, there is a section of each company teaser called "My tags:" where you can add as many tags as you like to that particular company. For a new tag, type it into the box and click "Add". As you begin typing, the site will automatically list tags you have already added to the portfolio so that you can apply an existing tag this way.
- Tagging several companies: In the Portfolio, check the boxes in the top left corner of each company you want to tag. Then scroll to the top or bottom of the page (whichever is closer) and use the tools to apply an existing tag or apply a new tag. Then click "Apply". You can also click the "Check/Uncheck All" button if you want to apply a tag to all (or most) of the companies in your directory.
- Tagging one company from profile page: On any company profile page, once you are logged in there will be a section in the main information window called "My tags:" where you can add as many tags as you like to that particular company. For a new tag, type it into the box and click "Add". As you begin typing, the site will automatically list tags you have already added to the portfolio so that you can apply an existing tag this way. If you add a tag to a company that is not already in your portfolio from their profile page, the company will be added to the portfolio and given the tag you specified all in one step.
Is there a limit to the number of tags I can create?
No, you can create as many as you like. However, we recommend not using too many tags just to keep things simple for you.
I added a new tag, but it's not showing up in the "My Tags" list. Why is that?
If you added one tag or several tags using the boxes on the individual company teasers in the Portfolio, they will not show up immediately in your list of tags on the top left side of the page. Simply click the "Refresh" button in your browser or the link that says "Click here to refresh the list" and they will appear.
How can I see just the companies with a certain tag?
Click on the hyperlinked tag name in either the "My Tags" box on the top left of the Portfolio page or the "My tags" section of that company's teaser. Once you have selected a tag you will be taken to a Portfolio view that shows you just the companies that belong to that tag. The title at the top of the page will now read "Portfolio for your username: Items tagged 'your tag'". You can also get to a certain tag group by clicking on the hyperlinked tag name in the "My tags" section of a company's individual profile page.
When I'm looking at companies with a specific tag, how do I get back to the main Portfolio page?
Simply click on the "My Portfolio" link at the top of the page to see all companies again.
How do I remove a tag from a company?
To remove a tag from a company, simply click on the red "X" to the right of the tag in the "My tags" section of that company's teaser. You can also perform this action on the company's individual profile page. Remember that if you are on a specific Portfolio view with a list of the companies containing the tag you want to remove from a particular company, that company will seem to disappear when you remove the tag. This is because it no longer belongs in that tag category. To see untagged companies, simply click on the "My Portfolio" link at the top of the page to see all companies again.
How do I completely remove a tag from my portfolio?
First, click on the hyperlinked tag name in either the "My Tags" box on the top left of the Portfolio page, or the "My tags" section of that company's teaser on the Portflio page or individual company profile page. Next, click on the red "X" to the right for each company until there are none in the list. Once you have done this the tag will be fully removed from your Portfolio.
Can I edit an existing tag?
Yes. To do this you must basically add a new tag and then delete the one you don't want. If you're just doing it for one company, you're set. Here's how to do it if you want to edit an entire set of tagged items:
- Click on the hyperlinked tag name that you want to change in either the "My Tags" box on the top left of the Portfolio page or the "My tags" section of a company teaser.
- When you are looking at all of the companies with the tag to be changed, click the button at the top or bottom of the page (whichever is closer) that says "Check/Uncheck All" to select all of the companies.
- Add a new tag to all of them, whatever you want to change it to.
- Then just run down the list and click the "X" next to the old tag you want to remove. Once you have done this for each company in the list, they will all be switched over to the new tag. Click the "My Portfolio" link at the top of the page to refresh.
Adding your company and keeping your information updated periodically will allow your company greater visibility among individuals and groups who are planning projects. The company creation process only takes 10 minutes, and approval and addition to the Directory will never take longer than one week. Refer to the questions and answers below for help adding and editing your company profile. If you don't find what you're looking for, contact us.
I'm having trouble with my company's account and password.
Please refer to the section above on registering and managing your account.
Where do I go to add my company?
Why does it say "Access denied" when I click to create a company?
Why do I have to add a description for my company?
It is important that you provide a description so that users of the site and people who might want to work on projects with your company know what you do, and can hear it in your own words. You must type at least 50 words. It is smart to detail specific goods and/or services you provide. Short sentences and bullet points are also a great way to describe what you do.
The formatting of my company description is strange and I can't fix it.
This oftentimes happens when copying and pasting directly from Word and other word processing programs. Try deleting everything from the description field and then pasting the information from Word into notepad or another basic text editor to strip the formatting. Then copy it from there and paste it into the description section of the company form. Once you have done that, use the tools provided to format the text.
Do I have to add a logo for my company?
You are not required to upload a logo, however it adds interest to your company profile and allows people to connect more with your company.
Why won't my company logo upload?
It is likely an unaccepted size or format. Clean Energy Project Builder needs your logo to be 50 MB or smaller, and the format must be a png, gif, jpg.
I can't find categories that fit the services we provide. Am I missing something?
In the services tree you can click the "+" signs to expand the highest level categories and see more services underneath them. If you still don't find what you are looking for this way, contact us to request that we add a category for you.
How do I save my work?
When you are all finished or would just like to save your work and come back to it, click the "Save" button at the bottom of the page. If you preview the page, remember to still scroll to the bottom and click "Save" when you are done. You can always come back and make changes later.
Can I save my company form and come back to it later to finish it?
Yes. Just write "Draft" in the description box somewhere so that we know you are not done. But you must still fill out all required fields (marked with a red asterisk) before you will be able to save your work. Be sure to click "Save" at the bottom of the page when you are ready to save your draft.
How do I edit my company information?
First you will need to log in. Once you have logged in, click on "My Listings" at the top of the page to see your companies. Click on the company that you want to edit, and then click on the "Edit" tab at the top of the page. Make the desired changes and then click "Save" when you are done.
How do I add an office to my company?
From your company profile you will find a link near the bottom under the heading "Offices" that says "Click here to add a new office". Fill out the form entirely and click "Save" at the bottom when you are finished to add each office. You must choose one office for your main office by checking the appropriate box in the form. If you have not added any offices, you should see a notice at the top left of your screen asking you to create one: "Step 2: Add an Office!". Follow the link "Add office" to create one.
How do I edit my office(s)?
You can go back and edit any office by clicking on the "Edit this office" link at the bottom of each office from your company profile page.
Why do I have to add an office to my company?
It is important for people who might work with you to see where you're located. We want to make sure that your company is real by having you put in an office location. Even if you are just one person working somewhere, you should have an office location!
I submitted my company. Why don't I see it in the Directory?
First your company must be approved by the Clean Energy Project Builder team. After you receive a message saying that your company has been approved, your company will be included as long as you have entered an office. Your company must have an office to be included in the Directory results. If you need to add an office, please refer to the questions above, "How do I add an office to my company?"
How long does it take for companies to be approved and included in the Directory?
It should not take longer than a week for the Clean Energy Project Builder team to get back to you to let you know that your company has been approved, or contact you to ask follow-up questions about your company. In the rare event that it does take longer than a week, please contact us so we can make sure there was not a technical issue with your submission.
How do I add completed projects to my company?
From your company profile you will find a link near the bottom under the heading "Completed Projects" that says "Click here to add a new project". Fill out the form entirely and click "Save" at the bottom when you are finished. Repeat this for each project that you'd like to share.
How do I edit my completed projects?
You can go back and edit any completed project by clicking on the "Edit this project" link at the bottom of each project from your company profile page.
Do I have to add completed projects to my company?
You are not required to add completed projects, however it helps individuals and groups that might like to work with you know more about what you have already done.
There has been a staff change at our company and we need to change the owner of the company. How can we do this?
Please contact us and let us know the name of your company and the email address for the previous user so that we can go about making this change for you.